Pubs in Hartshorne
Page Updated 24/12/15)
The Parish of Hartshorne is lucky to have
4 public houses each offering a different experience
to the visiting cliental.
The Bulls Head
The Bulls Head caters for the pub food trade
offering an extensive menu for both lunchtime and evening meals.
The pub also offers ensuite accommodation and can be contacted on
Old village pub, now a free-house (since March 2014), but in recent years virtually a restaurant, with only a small area set aside for drinkers. Parts of the building date back to the late 16th-century, although the Georgian frontage is early 19th-century. Internally, there are smartly furnished linked rooms around the bar counter, with the odd secluded corner; beamed ceilings (some original), horse brasses, assorted memorabilia, plus all sorts of antique junk on high level shelves. Limited car parking at front; additional car parking 50m along Manchester Lane (shared with village hall and church). Good local reputation for food; meals available up to 9pm. (Taken from the 'What Pub' Website)
The Admiral Rodney
The Admiral Rodney has won the Burton &
South Derbyshire District CAMRA pub of the year a number of times recently.
This traditional village pub dates back to the early 19th-century when known as the Lord Rodney, but was substantially rebuilt in 1959, and later extended and refurbished in 1998 to provide an open-plan L-shaped drinking area, retaining the original oak beams in the former snug. A small raised area behind the bar is served through a hatch.
Current and imminent guest beers, usually from SIBA members, are listed on a board above one end of the bar.
Quiz night Sunday; cheese tasting on first Monday of month.
Several clubs and groups meet here: a Derby County supporters group, a Diving Club, Hartshorne Bellringers, Hartshorne Cricket Club (whose ground is behind the pub), a Ladies Club, Rodney Ramblers walking group.
Existed in 1827 as the Lord Rodney, but name appears to have changed soon afterwards to the Admiral Rodney Inn. Bought by Salts Brewery in 1891, but it became a Bass pub when the latter took over Salts in 1927; around this time it is believed to have been called the Rodney Inn. Bought by Enterprise Inns in 1991 and the name subsequently reverted to the Admiral Rodney Inn. A pub called the New Inn was once located on the site of the car park to the west. The above text is taken from the
What Pub Website.
The Admiral Rodney
only opens in the evenings on Monday to Fridays. From lunch time on Saturdays and Sundays, they can be contacted on 01283 216482.
The Mill Wheel
The Old Mill Wheel is the most recent addition
to the village pubs, being converetd in 1980's from a derelict mill.
See more details on Screw
The pub is currently closed but will be opening soon under new management and with a new menu. The pub has a large restaurant and real fire bar; more details can be found on their website.
The Greyhound Inn
The Chesterfield Arms was demolished in 2009 and the sitehas been developed to provide 14 new houses. Pictures of the development taking place can be found in the Picture Gallery
The most recent public house to open in the Parish of Hartshorne is The Greyhound Inn, on the A511 Woodville to Ashby-de-la-Zouch road.
Details of the services they offer can be found on the What Pub Website.
Remnants of Past Times
Until recently the village had two more public houses, The Chesterfield Arms and the Snooty Fox both of these buildings were demolished in 2009. Making way for redevelopment. The Chesterfield site has been developed for 14 private dwellings.
As far as I am aware there are no current plans to develop the Snooty Fox Site at the moment.
The Chesterfield Arms
The Snooty Fox
Unfortunately the Snooty Fox, the only pub
at the Woodville end of Hartshorne Village has closed and has been demolished. The sites future
is unknown at the moment and a large pile of bricks is all that remains.
Contact the email@example.com
if you wish to provide any additional information for the public
houses of Hartshorne.