Churches in Hartshorne
St Peters Church
There has been a church on the site
since the beginning of the fourteenth century, although it is likely
that it was a place of worship before that time. The Church was
first mentioned in the Episcopal Register of 1303 and the tower
was added during the fifteenth century.
Only the tower remains of the original
church, the main body being rebuilt in 1835, although the font is
believed to be fourteenth century and two of the five bells pre-date
There is a large oak chest with nine
iron clasps and a silver paten of about 1480, which is believed
to be one of the oldest pieces of plate in the county.
The fine altar tomb has alabaster
figures of Sir Humphry Dethick and his wife (1599) and along the
front reliefs of three sons and three daughters. It was one of the
Dethicks who went to Cleves to find a fourth wife for Henry VIII
and his son William laid a pall of rich velvet on the coffin of
Mary Queen of Scots. In 1624 the Rev. William Dethick bequeathed
£100 to the parishes of Newhall and Hartshorne.
In 1799 one Stebbings Shaw became
Rector. He was a melancholy character who could often be seen wandering
about the church grounds talking to himself. He had ambitions to
be a writer, travelled extensively in Scotland and was-joint editor
of the 'Topographer'. In 1788 he published a book of his travels,
but it failed, adding to his depression. However, he did make a
valuable contribution to the recorded history of South Derbvshire
Source: Hartshorne Then and Now: A pictorial history
of the village, Complied by Brian Robinson, Published by Hartshorne
Parish Council, 2000, p 7.