HARTSHORNE PARISH COUNCIL
PROCEDURE FOR HANDLING COMPLAINTS
This document was re-approved by the Parish Council at the meeting held on Monday 11th July 2022 (Minute Number )
1. Complaints must be submitted in writing to the Clerk and must include the following:
· The nature of the complaint in detail
· The subject of the complaint (e.g Member, Clerk)
· The remedy sought
2. In all cases the Clerk will send a copy of the complaint to the Chairman (or the Vice-Chair if the complaint is against the Chairman).
3. The Chairman (or Vice Chairman, if the complaint is against the Chairman) in consultation with the Clerk, will contact the parties concerned in an effort to reach an amicable solution to the complaint.
4. A copy of the written complaint will be circulated by the Clerk to all members of the Finance Committee and to the subject of the complaint.
5. If an amicable solution cannot be reached by the above means, a meeting of the Finance Working Group will be convened as soon as reasonably practicable
6. A meeting of the Finance Working Group e will take place on a date and time and at a place to be determined by the Chairman, in consultation with the Clerk. The quorum for a meeting will be three members of the Finance Working Group providing that none of the three are subject to complaint.
7. If possible, the complaint will be dealt with by way of consideration of written representations. If this is not possible, both parties to the complaint will be invited to attend in person and they may be accompanied by an advisor / representative.
8. Where the complaint is heard in person rather than by written representations the following procedure will apply
· The Chairman will invite the complainant to state in full the details of the complaint.
· The subject of the complaint will be invited to question the complainant.
· The members of the Finance Working Group ittee will be allowed to question the complainant.
· The subject will be invited to answer the complaint.
· The complainant will be invited to question the subject.
· The members of the Finance Working Group will be allowed to question the subject.
· The complainant will sum up.
· The subject of the complaint will sum up.
· The complainant and the subject will withdraw.
· Finance Working Group will consider the evidence and come to decision in respect of the complaint.
· Where the complaint is upheld in full or in part the Finance Working Group will recommend a remedy to the complaint.
· The complainant and the subject of the complaint will be invited back into the meeting and advised of the decision.
9. The Finance Working Group shall forward details of any complaint and the manner in which it has been dealt with, via the Clerk, for report to the next meeting of the Parish Council.
10. The Finance Working Group shall, at its absolute discretion, deal with any matters not specifically covered by the procedure, but relevant to its role.