Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Hartshorne Parish Council held at

7.00 pm on Monday, 17th April 2023 7pm at Hartshorne


Present: Councillors A Jones (Chair), N Jenkinson, M Mycock, G Tubey, J Seaton K Coe, P Smith.


Parish Clerk, A Barnes


In attendance: Cllr Muller


1 member of the public


Cllr Jones welcomed everyone to the meeting.


219/2023            Public participation

A local resident raised concerns regarding the speed humps on Repton Road as they are to high and could cause damage to vehicles.  Resident has written to the Parish Council, SDDC and DCC but had not received replies from SDDC and DCC.  Cllr Jones confirmed that residents’ concerns have been raised with DCC previously.  Cllr Muller reported he would contact R Hanbury from Highways and will arrange an onsite meeting.

Resident also raised concerns that at the bottom of his drive (no 97) the storm grid should be at the lowest part of the road, but it is not therefore the rain does not go down.


220/2023            To receive reports from the Police Liaison Officer, County Councillors and District Council Members

County Council

Cllr Muller reported the following:

Potholes repaired week commencing 2 April was 2659 and 33162 repairs have taken place since January.

Community Fund will be replenished in April.


District Council


221/2023            Apologies

Cllr West

Cllr Burley

Cllr Landsborough

Cllr Slawson

Cllr Redfern


222/2023            Variation to the order of business


223/2023            Declaration of members interests

228/2022 Cllr Jenkinson website

230/2022 Cllr Jones, Mycock and Jenkinson allotments

230/2022 Cllr Jones SDCVS payment


223/2023           To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 13th March 2023

RESOLVED: Minutes agreed as a true record and signed by the Chair.  All Cllrs agreed.


224/2023            Recreation Grounds


7a Recreational Grounds – Clerk confirmed ongoing work at Main Street in regard to the signs.  Clerk confirmed there had been a leak at Goseley Changing rooms, plumbing work has been completed, quote received W Brassey and Son’s to mend the ceiling at a cost of £580.00.  O’Connors will be completing a site damage to assess the electrics.  Resolved that all Cllrs agree to W Brasset quote.  Clerk to ask advice from O’Connor’s regarding the removal of the water tank

7b Noticeboards – Clerk confirmed Tree and Garden Services have installed the noticeboards.  Posters will be completed for the next meeting.

7c Football pitches – Clerk confirmed she had emailed the football club regarding the car park and is awaiting a reply. 

7d Trim Trail equipment – Clerk confirmed SDDC have agreed extra funding of £12000 for trim trail equipment.  Resolved arrange further meeting with Kopman. 

Resolved that the Cllrs accept the play area monthly inspection plus an additional offer of routine maintenance for Main St and Goseley from SDDC.


225/2023            Clerks report and Action Log

Clerk confirmed the lengthman has requested new uniform.  Resolved Cllrs agree to purchase

It was agreed that the annual parish meeting will take place on 16th May 2023 7.30pm at Dethick Hall

Clerk confirmed an email had been received from Leawood Valley asking if the application still wanted to go ahead.  Resolved to confirm with SDDC that the application should go ahead

Fixed Asset Register.  Resolved Cllrs adopt fixed asset register


226/2023            Planning Applications


DMPA/2023/0263 The proposed installation of solar panels to the roof of the dwelling Ash House, Netherhall Road, Hartshorne, Swadlincote, DE11 7AA – no observations


 Planning Decisions


227/2023            Highways and Public Footpath

Cllr Seaton reported that the training for speedwatch has been postponed due to roadworks.  New dates to be arranged. 

Cllr Seaton has sent information to Cllrs regarding the HGV reporting and asked for a link to be added to the website.

Cllr Seaton has sent an official form regarding the signs Sandcliffe Road and Burton Road

Cllr Mycock raised concerns regarding issues at the bottom of the cutting.  The grid on the corner of the service road is blocked up and water runs down the road and will make the potholes worse.  Resolved Clerk to report to SDDC

Cllr Tubey reported the new regeneration route at junction with A514 and bottom of woodhouse street, people doing u turns at the railings.  Concerns that it may cause a crash.  Sign is meant to be put in place.

Cllr Mycock raised concerns regarding the tree owned by Parker’s are overgrowing and hanging.  Resolved Clerk to contact Parker’s


228/2023           Website and Communications

Cllr Jenkinson reported all documents are now on the website

Newsletter draft handed out for review and any comments to Cllr Jenkinson asap.  For printing and delivery

Cllr Jones thanked Cllr Jenkinson for all his help



229/2023            Allotments


Clerk confirmed that all invoices and agreements have been sent to allotment holders and suggested an onsite meeting is booked for July meeting.  Split invoice with Hartshorne Charities.  Resolved onsite meeting to be arranged with tenants.


230/2023            Finance


Current bank balance £14626.79


February payments




Clerk and Lengthman salary March



Hartshorne Cricket club

Hire of hall




Electricity for Goseley



IM Plumbing

Fixing of plumbing following leak




Water for Goseley



Tree and Gardens Service

Installation of noticeboards




Annual subscription £852.38qwa

Optional training fee £250.00




Service of church clock




Rent of recreational grounds




Service Dog Bins




Church yard water rates


All Cllrs agreed to the above payments

Concurrent form signed by clerk and chair for £17526.06

Clerk confirmed VAT return has been completed and posted.

Cllrs agreed that any requests will be considered for S137.


Payments received

231/2023 Speed Indicator Device Guidance


Cllrs reviewed the quotes and agreed that the Westotec quote is the preferred quote.  Resolved Clerk to request a site visit along with Cllr Muller and R Hanbury to discuss requirements and location. 


232/2023 Date of Next meeting


             15th May 2023 7pm at Goseley Community Centre

TA to PC’s not gone for PC again

Meeting closed at 20.25pm





Parish Council Chairman……………………………………..    Date………………………….