Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Hartshorne Parish Council held at

7.00 pm on Monday, 13th February 2023 7pm at Hartshorne Cricket Club


Present: Councillors A Jones (Chair), N Landsborough, N Jenkinson, M Mycock, G Tubey, J Seaton K Coe, P Smith, J Burley


Parish Clerk, A Barnes


In attendance: Cllr Muller, Cllr Taylor


1 member of the public


Cllr Jones welcomed everyone to the meeting.


188/2022            Public participation

Resident who attended the meeting reported he represented Manor View Management Committee and asked whether the Parish Council could look at the state of the fence and the dog waste bin by the recreational grounds.  Resident also raised concerns that dogs are walking off lead and the dog waste bin is not being emptied on a regular basis.  He also asked whether the trees that form part of the boundary could be cut back before the birds start nesting?  The Management Committee would like to put a sign off confirming it is private property.


Cllr Jones confirmed they are waiting for the contractor to start work on the fence and add hedging in the gap, the bench is also being fixed.  Trees will be reviewed for cutting at the next annual cycle.  The Parish Council are aware of signs that require replacing and will enquire with SDDC if a dog order on area is in place.


189/2022            To receive reports from the Police Liaison Officer, County Councillors and District Council Members

County Council


Cllr Muller reported the following:

Reports have been received regarding Wards recycling fence and are being investigated.

Highways have declined to instal filter lights near Sainsbury’s.

Residents’ have raised concerns regarding potholes in the district.  Highways have over just over 2000 defects they are trying to get through and the 18 gangs currently working on repairs will be increased to 31 with extended working hours.

There is no extra Community Fund money available for the Coronation.  If the parish are running any events, please let Cllr Muller know.

No further update on the Goseley Bus service has been received, all views from the Parish Council and residents have been reported.  Cllr Muller will raise concerns again.

Cllr Tubey reported the state of Netherhall Road is appalling and is getting worse by the day.  Cllr Muller has been asked by Highways to compile a list of all B & C roads to know which ones are in a bad way.  Please let Cllr Muller know of any roads that are in a bad state.


District Council


Cllr Taylor confirmed SDDC have concluded the Local Plan consultation and recommendations of sites will be made in May.  Cllr Tubey reported concerns that not many people had heard of the Local Plan consultation.  Cllr Smith asked that feedback be given in regards to the drop in events as they were very well attended and more should have been arranged. 

Cllr Taylor confirmed town Centre improvements work has started to take place which will include the demolition of Bank House. 


190/2022            Apologies

Cllr Redfern

Cllr West

Cllr Slawson

Cllr Gee


191/2022            Variation to the order of business


192/2022            Declaration of members interests

198/2022 Cllr Jenkinson website

199/2022 Cllr Jones, Mycock and Jenkinson allotments

200/2022 Cllr Jones SDCVS payment


193/2022           To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 9th January 2023

RESOLVED: Minutes agreed as a true record and signed by the Chair.  All Cllrs agreed.


194/2022            Recreation Grounds


7a Recreational Grounds – RESOLVED that Cllrs agree to the cut back & dispose of existing wet pour & install 4 x patch repairs at recreational grounds at a cost of £2550.  Resolved that clerk contact SDDC to request further signage at Main St.

7b Noticeboards – Clerk confirmed a further quote has been received from Tree and Garden Services for £200 +VAT for the installation of noticeboards at Goseley Community Centre and Repton Road and the old Repton Road notice to be placed at the allotments.  Resolved that Cllrs agree to the work

7c Football pitches – Clerk confirmed she had emailed the football club regarding the car park and is awaiting a reply.  Cllr Jones reported the gate has been lifted and some of the grounds have been cleared.  Action Clerk chase up the football club to enquire when the work will be completed.

7d Trim Trail equipment – Clerk reported a meeting had taken place with SDDC as further funding may be available from the Concurrent expenses.  Information has been sent to SDDC regarding the trim trail equipment and is awaiting a reply.


195/2022            Clerks report and Action Log

Clerk confirmed there is a Parish & Town Council Liaison Forum taking place on the 13th March.

Clerk confirmed correspondence has been received from Waterplus who are moving the bills to monthly.

Clerk confirmed Eon flexible business plan due to end in March.  Resolved that the parish council adopt the new quotes.

Clerk confirmed the Pension re-enrolment is due, clerk confirmed she is not eligible and the lengthman has opted out of the pension.  Action Clerk to contact SDCVS and confirm

Resolved It was agreed that the AGM along with the normal parish council meeting will take place on the 15th May and the annual meeting at Dethick Hall on 10th May.  Clerk will confirm the dates are acceptable due to the elections



196/2022            Planning Applications


DMPA/2022/1471 Retention of 38no. storage containers at Broomy Farm, Woodville Road, Hartshorne, Swadlincote, DE11 7EY. No observations


DMPA/2023/0157 Erection of a two storey side and single storey rear extension at 27 Leawood Road, Midway, Swadlincote, DE11 7PN - No observations


DMPA/2023/0141 Loft conversion to include the alteration to roof pitch and insertion of roof lights and a balcony at 22 Sandcliffe Road, Midway, Swadlincote, DE11 7PH - No observations


 Planning Decisions


197/2022            Highways and Public Footpath

Clerk confirmed she had forwarded a list of all action points outstanding to Cllr Muller to chase.

Clerk confirmed Cllr Slawson sent a written contribution reporting the potholes at the far end on the right hand side on Manchester Lane are particularly bad. Action clerk to report reference number to Cllr Muller

Cllr Seaton reported he has 2 volunteers for the community speed watch group along with 5 Parish Councillors.

Cllr Smith reported he had walked the footpath No 37 from Peartree Close and Brook Street joining with footpath No 40, garden rubbish has been thrown in the brook which may potentially cause issues with the water cause. Action clerk to report to SDDC

Cllr Slawson reported a big pothole at the Cutting has been spotted along with a lot of rubbish.  Action clerk to raise with the Lengthman


198/2022           Website and Communications

Cllr Jenkinson reported he has received a photo from Cllr Seaton to add to the website.

Any articles for the newsletter to be sent to the Clerk and Cllr Jenkinson before the end of the month.


199/2022            Allotments

Cllr Jenkinson reported following an allotment meeting on the 6th February they had met on site on the 7th February to discuss jobs required.  Cllr Smith reported that the Parish Council should maintain the hedges on an annual basis.  Cllr Smith proposed that £2000 be set aside from the Parish Council to complete work subject to any other support that may be received.  Cllr Jenkinson confirmed Hartshorne Charity would also contribute to the cost.  Resolved that the work on the allotments be completed by Tree and Garden services for a cost of £3260 + VAT. (appendix number 1 attached)


200/2022            Finance


Current bank balance £19360.84


January payments




Clerk and Lengthman salary Jan



Hartshorne Cricket Club

Hire of hall




Electricity for Goseley



Zurich Insurance

Annual insurance




Water charges



Tree & Garden Services

Cutting of hedge at allotments


All Cllrs agreed to the above payments


Payments received


201/2022 Speed Indicator Device Guidance


Clerk confirmed she has requested a quote from another organisation and is awaiting feedback.


202/2022 Date of Next meeting


             13th March 2023 7pm at Goseley Cricket Club


Meeting closed at 20.45pm





Parish Council Chairman……………………………………..    Date………………………….