Chapels in Hartshorne
Hartshorne Wesleyan Chapel
The old chapel
in Repton Road was deemed too small so in 1904 a new church was
started on a plot of land opposite the old chapel. This was donated
by the Earl of Carnarvon, the cost of the new church was £900.
of Church Gresley was the architect and Mr C Vennings of Swadlincote
was the builder. The Reverend C Holman circuit minister laid the
stone in October 1904 and 120 children laid foundation bricks with
their names on. These foundation bricks are at chest height and
the church's outside walls. There are familiar names such as Blood,
Bloor, Wilkins, Shaw, Wilkinson, James and quite a lot of Jacques.
Most of the names are still very readable at this date as they are
embossed in the bricks. The Woodville Wesleyan Choir then sang and
later 300 people had tea in a marquee.
The chapel proper was finished in June 1905 a Mrs Chester
opened it and a tea for 200 was given. The chapel was lit by paraffin
Source: Burton Observer 1904
a small one in Ticknall Road situated near the Screw Mill. It is
now converted to a house. It started in the early 1800's and closed
Source: Hartshorne - An Historical Collection, Published
by Hartshorne Local History Society, 2000, Edited by A E Sherratt,