St Peters Church
The church building
has been a church on the site since the beginning of the fourteenth
century, although it is likely that it was a place of worship before
that time. The Church was first mentioned in the Episcopal Register
of 1303 and the tower was added during the fifteenth century.
The outer wall of the tower has a
row of carved stones, one depicting arms and the other dogs.
Only the tower remains of the original
church, the main body being rebuilt in 1835, although the font is
believed to be fourteenth century and two of the five bells pre-date
The transept windows have cast iron
tracery and the west gallery, cast iron columns. The cast iron tracery
windows were installed in the 1834/5 rebuild and were the work of
Weatherhead and Glover, Derby iron founders who later became Handysides
Limited, Derby's famous iron foundry.
fine altar tomb has alabaster figures of Sir Humphry Dethick and
his wife (1599) and along the front reliefs of three sons and three
daughters. It was one of the Dethicks who went to Cleves to find
a fourth wife for Henry VIII and his son William laid a pall of
rich velvet on the coffin of Mary Queen of Scots. In 1624 the Rev.
William Dethick bequeathed £100 to the parishes of Newhall
The church had an extensive rebuild
in 1835, costing £1,400. The North aisle is separated from
the nave by two pointed arches supported by an octagonal pillar,
the mouldings of the capitals appear to indicate 15th century work.
Halfway up the outside of the Bell
Tower on the West side is a row of five sculptured stones. The first
and last bear a dog or talbot passant, on the second and fourth
are the usual monograms of the name of Our Lord and on the third
is a shield with the maunch or sleeve of Hastings. The arms of Hastings
between two talbots passant may also be seen sculptured on the Castle
On the East of the Tower is a shield
bearing - on a bend, between twelve fleurs-de-lis, six cross-crosslets
fitchee. On a stone in the West wall, inside the bell chamber, is
a shield vaire, doubtless intended for the arms of Meynell, which
appears to have been removed in 1835 from the South front of the
Tower and used to prop up the Tower roof!
Ring of five, two being of pre-reformation
date, the letterings being:
I - 'Stebbing Shaw, Rector, Thos
Hassall, James Insley Churchwardens 1792'
II & III - 'Stebbing Shaw, Rector,
Thos. Hassall, James Insley Churchwardens 1792, Edwd. Amold Leicester
IV - 'Hec Campana Beata Trinitate
The bell founders mark is attributed
to Richard Mellor and on the waist are the initials H.N., on the
crown is the name, - "Hewch Royll".
Note: Hugh Royle was a churchwarden.
T Royles or (Roiles) held the small manor/farm of shorthazels for
V - 'Ave Gracia Plena Dominus Fecum'
Source: Hartshorne Then and Now: A pictorial
history of the village, Complied by Brian Robinson, Published by
Hartshorne Parish Council, 2000, p 7