Small amounts of minerals have been
worked in Hartshorne since the Middle ages. One of the first was
sandstone rocks for building materials used in churches and manor
houses. The largest stone quarry is now called Carvers Rocks. In
other parts of the parish, sand was extracted and there were other
small sandstone quarries.
The last working quarry, off Gravelly
Hill near Brook Street, closed in the 1970's.
Another mineral worked in Hartshorne
was coal but only in small quantities as the majority of the coal
seams had been washed out only 4 remained being about 2-3 feet thick.
These outcropped on the East of Manchester Lane and on the South
in the area called Goseleys near Woodville. They then dipped to
the West getting deeper and then disappeared at around 80 yards
near Sandcliffe Road/Nether Hall Lane.
In the Middle ages small Bell Pits
and drifts were used to mine these seams, one reminder of one area
of very small scale mining is the lane called Slack Lane to the
North East of Manchester Lane. These seams also carried on into
the Smisby/Ticknall, Staunton Harold coalfield, again very small
and worked out by the early 1800's. A reminder of this era is the
road called Coal Lane leading to Ticknall Road.
Small mines were worked in the White
Hollows, Pistern Hills, Southwood, Staunton Harold and Heath End
area. Some of this coal was transported via Coal Lane to Hartshorne.
The only other mineral worked was clay.
A number of small potteries were situated on the South side of the
parish near Woodville and the A50 at Midway. One area where coal
and clay seams outcropped to the surface was Goseley and when houses
were built in 1997/8 on Goseley Estate small Bell pits were uncovered.
The street is now called Bell Lane.