Towns and villages around Hartshorne
de la Zouch
rich history is set against a backdrop of people and events shaping
this country over the last 1000 years. The name Ashby is said to
be derived from the Saxon 'AESC', meaning an Ash, and 'BYR', a habitation.
ending 'de la Zouch' was added in 1160 when a Norman Nobleman, Alain
de Parrhoet la Zouch inherited his position as Lord of the Manor
by marriage. During Norman times Ashby was recorded in the Doomsday
Book as a settlement of about 100 people situated around the present
site of St. Helen's Church.
In the 15th
Century, Edward IV granted Ashby Manor to his favourite counsellor,
Lord Hastings. He converted the manor house into a castle and rebuilt
nearby St Helen's Church. The town became the main seat of the Hastings
family and there followed a long period of prosperity and growth.
School was founded in 1567 and skilled craftsmen such as silversmiths,
gold beaters, pewterers, swordsmiths and clock makers began to move
into the 'courts' at the rear of Market Street.
Civil War, a Royalist garrison occupied Ashby Castle under the command
of Henry Hastings, who became Lord Loughborough. However, following
a yearlong siege of the Castle by the Parliamentarian Army, the
Royalists surrendered in 1646 (a model of the Castle under siege
is on display at Ashby Museum).
war, the Castle was partly destroyed and largely forgotten until
the publication of Sir Waiter Scott's classic historical romance
'Ivanhoe' in 1820. He used the Castle as a backdrop for the fictional
tournament in which Ivanhoe was victorious on the field of combat
and Robin Hood won the archery competition by splitting the shaft
of his opponents arrow with his own.
In the 19th
Century, the town's fortunes prospered further as it tried to become
a Spa Town. Water with medicinal qualities had been discovered nearby
at a coal mine in Moira and transported to Ashby. The magnificent
Ivanhoe Baths were built in 1822, along with the adjacent Hastings
Hotel (now Royal Hotel). The opening of the railway through the
town in 1849 and subsequent pioneering rail tours organised by Thomas
Cook from Leicester, brought a further influx of visitors to the
town. Unfortunately, after 40 years of prosperity, the Ivanhoe Baths
began to decline and were closed in 1884.
town's prosperity is based on light industry and its excellent range
of shops. Due to its geographical location, Ashby is a much sought
after residential area being situated close to the major urban areas
of Birmingham, Derby, Leicester and Nottingham. A continuing link
with the past is Ashby's Statutes Fair which has been held every
September since it was started by Charter of Henry III in 1219.
Therefore, while Ashby has all the amenities and facilities expected
of a modern town, it has lost none of its original character and
For more details vist the Ashby
de la Zouch Website
Source: North West Leicestershire District Council
The town is situated in the centre of England,
in the South East of Staffordshire, close to the border with Derbyshire,
126 miles north of London. It is 11 miles South of Derby on the
A38, and almost equidistant between the cities of Birmingham (to
the South West) on the A38, Leicester (to the South East) and Stoke-on-Trent
(to the North West) on the A511 (formerly the A50), and Nottingham
(to the North East)) all of which are approximately 30 miles away.
The town straddles the River Trent and the
Trent & Mersey Canal passes through. Trains stop on their route
between Nottingham and Birmingham.
Burton-on-Trent is world renowned for the
brewing of beer. A centuries-old industry, which was started by
the monks of Burton Abbey, and has persisted to this day thanks
to the high quality of the water drawn from wells deep around the
town. The heyday of the brewing industry was at the turn of the
century, when dozens of breweries were in operation. A dense network
of brewery railways criss-crossed the town joining and supplying
them. The last trains ran in the 1960's and virtually all trace
of a once distinctive part of the Burton scenery has disappeared.
Until recently four breweries continued
to brew within the town. Many of the old breweries closed or merged
to create huge multinational companies such as- Bass's, Ind Coope
and Marston's. The larger Carlsberg Tetley bought up Ind Coope Burton
Brewery early in the 1990's, the old Ind Coope Brewery was to be
closed down. Thankfully Bass's, who's brewery backs on to the old
Ind Coope site, agreed to buy it's old rival, thus creating one
of the biggest breweries in the world. Carlsberg Tetley remains
in name only now having been its self merged into Basses. Sadly
some much loved beers like Ind Coope's "Burton Ale" looks
set to disappear into oblivion.
Fancy having a look at the Bass museum?
here to visit thre museum on line.
Marston's continues to brew it's famous
"Pedigree" bitter using the traditional Burton Union system
of fermentation, this has brewery appears to be going the way of
all the others, and has early in 1999 been acquired by Banks' of
Dudley, we are promised that brewing will continue on the site for
the foreseeable future. (We've heard it all before).
The last independent brewery in the town,
the tiny Burton Bridge Brewery continues to brew its excellent own
The breweries still dominate the landscape
of Burton, but the town is also blessed with some fine natural scenery
- the Trent Washlands at the heart of the town provide an oasis
of green amidst the industrial scenery.
For more details vist the Burton-on
Known originally as Wooden Box.
Work in progress
Work in progress
For more details visit the Ticknall
Repton is a thriving village with a fascinating
past. It's situated in the Trent valley between Derby and Burton-on-Trent
in the county of Derbyshire. On one side of the village is the Old
Trent, the remnants of the former course of the river, on the other
three is attractive rolling farmland.
The village dates back to Anglo-Saxon times
and was the place where Christianity was first preached in the Midlands.
In the crypt of the church there are still well preserved remains
of Saxon architecture. The church with its tall spire is not the
only distinctive building - Repton has a wealth of these, many associated
with the ancient school.
For more details visit the Repton
Work in progress
Smisby is an ancient farming settlement
deriving its name from the Old Norse of 'Smidesbie', literally Smith's
Farm. The parish includes the hamlets of Annswell and Boundary.
Of particular interest are St. James' Church (13th century), the
Old Manor (16th century) and the village lock-up (early 18th century).
Smisby was settled in Saxon times, and the
name is derived from the Old Norse name of 'Smidesbie', which translates
into Smith's Farm. The first part of the name of 'smeth' or, in
it's Anglo Saxon form, 'smed' means smiths. The second part comes
from the Scandinavian 'by' which is a common final element of Britain's
town names and is found all over the former Danelaw. It means farmstead
or village. The village was referred to as Smidesbi in the Domesday
For more details visit the Smisby
Page Updataed (20.05/09)