Foremark Reservoir is 230 acres of water
situated in the heart of the National Forest between Derby and Burton-on-Trent.
Treasured mainly for its wildlife habitats, the Reservoir is also
a centre for those who love the outdoors, whether its participating
in watersports on the water, or enjoying a cycling or walking trail
around the Reservoir.
The tail end of the reservoir known as Cavers
Rocks is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) due to it's
varied wildlife habitat.
The Reservoir was built in the 1970s
originally to supply Leicester and the East Midlands with drinking
water. Today it supplies Melbourne water treatment works.
There is a Trout Fishery on Foremark
which is open to the day visitor, for more information call them
on 01283 703202.
Staunton Harold Reservoir
off the B587 just south of Melbourne and operated by Severn Trent
Water. this is a 209 acre reservoir
was flooded in 1964. There is a visitor centre, new woodlands
and wildflower meadows. You can also enjoy bird watching, coarse
fishing and dinghy and sail boarding with the Staunton Harold Sailing
Club. Walks link with Calke Abbey.
Times: Daily: Dawn 'til dusk
Facilities: Car and coach parking 50p, refreshment kiosk, toilets,
picnic area, baby changing, children's play area and trails.
Disabled Facilities: Access and toilets.
For more information see;
Rivers and streams
village is surrounded on the East, North and South by hills. The
highest is to the East being over 600 feet above sea level. There
are a number of springs that start in these hills and flow out towards
the West. One of the main streams rises from springs below Several
Wood Farm and flows down through woods.
flows into 2 large ponds created to hold the water and then to feed
the water mill built on Ticknall Road. These 2 ponds were called
the Limehouse Dams. The water from one of the ponds was treated
with Lime and piped to a small waterworks on Manchester Lane, just
above Slack Lane.
water was then fed through cast iron pipes to the village with a
number of cast iron markers to indicate the buried pipes. These
are marked 'H.W.W.' and one example is near the wall on the road
at the side of the church in Church Street.
on Ticknall Road was built in the 18th century to manufacture steel
screws and is referred to as The
left the Mill and ran down the valley running parallel to Repton
Road down to Brook Street and passes near to the Old Manor. This
section was called Repton Brook but is almost a small river due
to other feeder brooks and streams joining it. It then runs into
ponds at Nether
Hall. These ponds fed a corn mill that had it's origins in the
1600's and was lastly called Glover's Mill after one of the Millers
who ran it. Some time in the 1940's it's runs were demolished but
some of the walls can still be seen.
One other important feeder stream
rises in the springs against the very old Manor Farm called Shorthazels
Farm. This flows on the South side of the valley until it joins
Repton Brook at Nether Hall. This, in Medieval times, was dammed
at a number of places to create small water meadows and fish ponds.
All the streams are very clean and fish are found in all parts,
even water cress in a few places.
Below Glover's Mill, Repton Brook
flows past Chevins Farm set in a small deep valley and just past
Chevins farm an old stone bridge crosses the brook to give access
to the Repton Road. Just below it was another mill called Bugley
Hole Mill. This was a leather making mill and the machines it contained
flailed and treated animal hides. Only faint traces of this mill
can be discerned.
then flows on past Noath's Ark Cottage and in the 1800's, into another
large pond that fed the next mill called Bretby Mill that was used
to grind flour. About half a mile down stream from Bretby Mill,
there was another mill near to the entrance to the old road to Bretby
village. This mill was fed by water held in a pond in Watery Road
which is now the present road to Bretby.
Repton Brook then flows into Crewes
Ponds at Repton Cross. These were a source of drinking water for
Repton. It then flows into Repton village where another flour mill
was situated just past the New Inn. Signs of old stone work and
a mill race can still be discerned. The brook then flows past Repton
College and into the old Trent water course. The course of the present
Trent is about half a mile further on.
The brook rising in Several Woods
measured to the old Trent is about 3 miles in length and as you
can see, was a valuable asset to the area.
(Page Updated 26/05/09)