A web site for the village of Hartshorne,
Derbyshire, United Kingdom.

 
  Home
Tour
Location
Facilities
Buildings
Organisations
History
Local area
Genealogy
Picture Gallery
Archive
 
  Magic Attic
Publications
Newspapers
Organisations
Field names
Census
Church - General
Church - Clergy
Church - Accounts
Charities
Maps
Military
Councils
Highways
Wills
Births
Marriages
Deaths
Parish Registers
Inventories
Directories
Schedules
Journals
Charters
Reports
Electoral Registers
Web sites
Glossary
Miscellaneous
  News & What's on
 

News
What's on

 
  Quick search
Advanced search
 
  View or Sign
 
 
 
 
 

Church - Clergy

The Abbey of Croxden held six virgates of land under Theobald in the parish. The Prior of Repton also had a right of free warren and held three virgates of land and a moiety of a park. In 1317 Robert de la Ward of Roxton Lincolnshire had seizure of the advowson of Hartshorn but not of the Manor. Joan, daughter of Robert bought the advowson on marriage to the Meynell family.

John a younger son of Sir William Dethick married the heiress of this branch of the Meynells and for seven generations the Dethicks held Newhall and Hartshorn Manors. Then Grace Dethick married Sir Robert D'arcy of Dartford passing the advowson to the D'arcy's. On the marriages of D'arcy females the advowson was split four ways. From these the Earl of Chesterfield purchased the shares.

Taxation rolls of 1291 gave the annual value of the rectory as 5.6s.8d. The Parliamentary Commissioners of 1650 valued it at 52.0.0, the incumbent of that time was Mr Richalds an able preacher.

The following list of Rectors is compiled from the Episcopal Registers. artshorne Church - Rectors

1303 - Henry Sauvage; patron, Robert de la Warde
1321 - John de Melbourn, Subdeacon; patron Hugo de-Meynell. He soon obtained leave of absence for study and a John Tillot took over
1332 - Henry de Huttes; patron Hugo de-Meynell
1375 - John Slygh; patron Richard Meynell
1390 - Geoffrey France - exchanged with JS
1453 - Ralph Lynge; canon of Gresley; patron Ralph Dethick
1477 - Thomas Wayneman, in the person of his Proctor William Bromwich; patron William Dethick of Newhall
1478 - John Tong; patron William Dethick
1494 - Thomas Hoggekynson; patron George Earl of Shrewsbury
1529 - John Dethick; patron Thomas Dethick
1550 - Bartholomew Kyrkeby; patron William Dethick. Then William Dethick until 1624, died and burried at Hartshorn in 1626
1624 - Anthony Richards; patrons Sir Francis Coke and Henry Curzon and Samuel Richards
1663 - Thomas Stanhope; patron Edward D'arcy
1713 - Thomas Hopton; patron Henry Tate
1717 - Thomas Everard; patron Henry Calvert
1747 - William Astley; patron Earl of Chesterfield
1769 - Stebbing - Shaw; patron John Darker
1799 - Stebbing-Shaw (Jnr.) patron Robert Pyott
1802 - W Edwards; patron Phillip Earl of Chesterfield
1803 - Francis Tunnicliffe; patron Humphrey Trafford Nadin
1833 - H W Buckiey; patron George Earl of Chesterfield
1893 - W.E. Beaumont
1897 R.C.L. Reade
1905 - A.R.Langhorne
1928 - S.Bazalgette
1941 - W.Guiness
1943 - J.Myers Bridge
1948 - H.Logan
1962 - B.Brown
1968 - T.Beedell
1980 - Ian Hunter

The contents of this site are copyright by Hartshorne Parish Council 2017. All rights reserved.