Volumes listing tradesmen and wealthier
residents were published from the later 18th century to the 1970s.
National and regional directories appeared in the 18th century,
replaced from the mid 19th century by County directories (e.g. Cornwall,
Arranged by town and village there are
usually listings by trade (bakers, blacksmiths etc.) and an alphabetical
listing of gentry or private residents. Usually around 5% of the
From the mid to late 19th century town
or street directories were published of cities & larger towns. Up
to 10% of the population appear in these and most have a listing
arranged by street. Most County directories ceased publication around
the Second World War period and most town directories survived until
the 1970s. Post 1945 (and even earlier) telephone directories became
Glovers Directory 1827-8
Hartshorn, a village, township and
parish in the Hundred of Repton and Gresley.
Lord of the Manor, John Murcot, Esq.
Batteridge, William - butcher
Bostock, William - farmer F.
Carver, John - farmer
Carver, William - farmer
Evans, William - vict. Rodney, and blacksmith
Fletcher, John - farmer
Glover, John - farmer, Short Hazels
Glover, John - corn miller
Hall, Thomas - school master
Hassall, Thomas - esq., agent to the Earl of Chesterfield, F.
Hawley, Thomas - brickmaker
Insley, William - farmer
Insley ??? - vict. Red Cow
Lester, John - farmer F.
Mansfield, James - maltster
Mansfield, Nathaniel - vist. Bulls Head
Orgill, Thomas, farmer and vict. F.
Parker, John - farmer, F.
Read, John - yellow-ware manufacturer
Reeves, George - yellow-ware manufacturer
Smith, Port - Wood and Co. iron screw manufacturers
Thompson, Joseph - yellow-ware manufacturer
Tunnicliffe, Rev. Francis, rector
Wilder, William, farmer, F.
Worthington, Thomas - farmer, F.
(Source: Swadlincote Library)
and Co's Commercial Directory, 1835
This excellent work covers the whole of
the county, and contains over 8,500 names. It was converted to HTML
format by Clive Henly (and last updated by him Wednesday, 5th March
1997, 23:37 GMT) from plain ASCII text files provided by Rosemary
Lockie, the transcriber.
Here is a
description of Hartshorne from the above directory for Derbyshire:
is a parish (having no dependent township), in the hundred of Repton
and Gresley, 4 miles N.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. There are mines
of coal and ironstone in the parish; the manufacture of wood screws
is carried on to a great extent by Messrs. Wood, Smith and Port,
and there is a respectable brewery belonging to Messrs. Brunt and
which is dedicated to St. Peter, is in the early style of English
architecture: the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl
of Chesterfield, the Rev. H. W. Buckley is the present incumbent.
of the parish, at the last census, 1,204.
About a mile
S.E. from Hartshorn is the prosperous hamlet of WOODEN BOX, where
are many pottery works, the inhabitants are almost exclusively employed.
the whole Directory in text format
(as a Zip file - 195K).