During the reign of Henry III (1216-1272)
records show that a knightly family called the 'de Hertishorns'
resided in the parish. It was recorded that Henry de Hertishorn
and Richard de Hertishorn held half a knights fee in the parish
under Robert de Ferrers. No doubt this family had been given land
in the parish sometime after the Norman conquest and adopted the
name of Hertishorn after the ancient parish name.
The shield they had made consisted of three
harts heads in an inverted chevron. The harts showing a fine display
of antlers and horns. This family married into the Bradbourne family
of Bradbourne near Ashbourne and on the illustrated family tree
of the marriage alliances of this family, is shown the de Hertishorn
that the Chevron is red, the Harts or Bucks head are black and their
background is silver. This picture will be replaced with a colour
Source: Old Halls and Manors in Derbyshire, J Tilly
held in Swadlincote library