In the mid 1800's potteries sprang
up alongside the Ashby-Burton road in Wooden Box and in Lower and
Upper Midway parts of the parish. Mansfield Pottery was situated
at the side of the railway station at the bottom of Station Road,
Woodville. It opened in 1879 and made earthenware sanitary goods.
It closed in 1958-9.
Lower Midway Pottery occupied what
is now the site of the Midway lnn. It opened in the 1850's and made
earthenware, one of its famous lines was earthenware jam jars for
a famous marmalade firm. It closed in the 1950's.
C.W. Outrams (Hartshorne) Pottery
was situated off the Hartshorne Road, against the M.R. goods station
just off the Burton road. It made earthenware sanitary goods. It
started in the early 1800's and closed in 1999.
Nadin and Parkers earthenware pottery
was situated at the top of Station Road, it opened in the mid 1800's
and closed around the 1950's.
The Upper Midway pottery making earthenware
goods started in the early 19th Century and was against the Wheel
Inn. It closed in 1920.
One of the Woodville potteries made
a widely used roof tile called Woodville Blues until the use of
slate in the late 1800's superseded them.
Besides these potteries there are
quite a number of very small works on both sides of the Burton-Ashby
Hartshorne Cheeses had a wide distribution
in the late 1700's and 1800's and became well known in the Midlands.
A large bowl called a pancion or pancheon was used in the cheese
making process and these were made in Ticknall in the 1700's and
then in the 1800's in Wooden Box.
In order to supply the increasing
population in the Wooden Box area in the 1800's, a number of breweries
started up, amongst them were Salts Brewery and a large one called
Brunt and Bucknalls, Hartshorne Brewery situated opposite the Nelson
Inn. Some of its beers were bottled and sold as 'Wooden Box' ales,
this brewery closed in 1920.
One of its directors was a Mr Worthington
who lived at Nether Hall in the mid 1800's, his Burton Brewery by
then was a large concern, no doubt his expertise was used at Brunt
Large amounts of white clays were
dug in the Wooden Box area and exported within England. Records
show clay being dug behind the Butt House Farm and in the area down
to Goseley Wastes, also coals.
A small mine-quarry supplied Mansfields
which was near this area until it closed in the 1950's.
Another small industry in the parish
was the manufacture of Worm Cakes. The works were situated in the
village in a street called Wormcake Street. This ran from Brook
Street towards what is now Kendrick's Close on Repton Road. It was
started in the mid 1800's by a Mr Thomas Truelove Kendrick and was
very successful. He became a wealthy man and on his death in 1872
left a small fortune as a Charity
to the parish. The product was a cattle feed that also contained
ingredients that cured worms in cattle.
The directories in the early 1800's
show that a small cottage industry making linen existed, a Mr Toon
was one of the owners.
The main industry throughout the existence
of the parish was of course agriculture, which after the enclosures
became more industrialised and productive, supplying meat, milk,
cheese and cereals to the growing population of the area.
A staple industry throughout the
villagers existence was the use of water power to drive corn mills,
also a leather mill and a mill on the site of the Screw
Mill drove bellows to smelt local ironstone at a furnace. The
most well known mill of course was the Screw Mill built on the Furnace
Site, this made iron screws from 1786 until about 1840.
Source: Mr Alan E Sherratt, Hartshorne - An
Historical Collection, p 77-78