Church of England
Until very recently the parish was governed
by the Church of England represented by the Wardens of the church
of St Peter situated in Church Street. Also there evolved a parallel
system of elected Overseers, Constables and Auditors.
Church Wardens, Overseers, Constables
The Church Wardens were wealthy landowners
and ran the parish under the church's authority. They also picked
the village constable to carry out their orders. The constables
position was not one much sought after. The monies to run the parish
were obtained by levying a rate on cattle, pigs, sheep, etc.
Also appointed were Overseers for the roads
and the poor. One of each was elected from the Upper and Lower towns.
They spent the rates raised and were checked by the local auditors,
usually local men of high standing. After the enclosure of 1766
the Overseers had a Pinfold made up in Manchester Lane where stray
beasts were impounded. Farmers had to pay fixed sums to reclaim
The Overseers were also responsible for
the Watch and Ward system of a watchman patrolling the houses at
night. He also called out the time - this system was stopped in
Rural District Council
In the 1880's a Rural District Council
of Hartshorne and Seales (Overseal, Netherseale) was formed, this
was then turned into the Repton Rural Council which in the 1970's
amalgamated with Swadlincote Urban Council and parts of South East
Derbyshire Rural Council.
The parish had shares in the Ashby workhouse
and sent old, poor or sick to this venue. Also the Hartshorne and
Seales Council constructed a clean water system using the Lime House
dams and a small water treatment works in Manchester Lane. This
supplied Hartshorne village and some farms.
In 1984 the government of the day ordained
that as part of a new structure or County Council, District Council
and Parish Councils, Hartshorne had a Parish Council created.
This initially had 9 members but as the
parish population had increased it was made up to 15 members.
The first electric street lamp was paid
for by the Parish Council in 1937 and erected in Main street. The
main street recreation ground was given to the parish in 1935 by
the local Miners Union.. Due to a large post-war (1939-45) housing
programme large estates were built at Goseley and Lower Midway.
The Parish Council runs recreation grounds
on both estates and also meets on them as well as in the village.
For further details of the present day activities of the Parish
Council see 'Organisations/Parish
Source: Mr Alan E Sherratt, Hartshorne - An
Historical Collection, p 9